What To Do
If you have found an injured/orphaned bird or animal
If safe for you to approach the animal, throw a towel over it, making sure its head and claws are covered and gently place in a ventilated box. Birds are best placed in a cardboard box so the feathers won’t get damaged and place a towel on the bottom of the box for stability. Other animals such as possums can be placed in a pet carry cage or similar, also with a towel on the bottom of the cage for stability.
It is extremely important to follow the next guidelines.
- Keep the animal in a dark, warm and quiet place to minimise stress. A hot water bottle wrapped in a towel (hot water from the tap only) will help keep the animal warm especially if it is young.
- Keep children and domestic pets away.
- Never offer an injured animal food or drink.
- Handle the animal as little as possible and do not pose wildlife for photos.
If you are unable to pick up the animal, place a washing basket (or such like) over the bird/animal then place a towel over the basket so that it is kept away from preditors.
Phone AWARE’s 24 Hour Emergency Hotline 0412 433 727 or your local Vet immediately – the first 24 hours are critical to the animal’s survival.
Our Area of Coverage
AWARE Online Shop
- Rock-eating microbes found buried in Antarctic lake 21/08/2014
- City spiders bigger than country cousins 20/08/2014
- Volcanism on asteroids in early solar system 20/08/2014
- Rare meteorite points to volcanism in early solar system 19/08/2014
- Simple solution could save our sewers 15/08/2014
- Little penguins hunt in synchronised packs 14/08/2014