What To Do
If you have found an injured/orphaned bird or animal
If safe for you to approach the animal, throw a towel over it, making sure its head and claws are covered and gently place in a ventilated box. Birds are best placed in a cardboard box so the feathers won’t get damaged. Place a towel on the bottom of the box for stability. Other animals such as possums can be placed in a pet carry cage or similar, also with a towel on the bottom of the cage for stability.
Extremely important guidelines:
- Keep the animal in a dark, warm and quiet place so as to minimise stress. A hot water bottle wrapped in a towel (hot water from the tap only) will help keep the animal warm, this is especially important for young animals.
- Keep children and domestic pets away.
- Never offer an injured animal food or drink.
- Handle the animal as little as possible and do not pose wildlife for photos.
If you’re unable to pick up the animal, please place a washing basket (or such like) over the bird/animal, then place a towel over the basket so as to keep it away from predators.
Phone AWARE’s 24 Hour Emergency Hotline 0412 433 727 or your local Vet immediately – the first 24 hours are critical to the animal’s survival.
Our Area of Coverage
AWARE Online Shop
- White pointer shark at Beware Reef 27/06/2016
- Residents trash Ballarat Council over tip tiff 23/06/2016
- Liverpool council accused of dumping asbestos near homes 22/06/2016
- Italian composer performs on floating platform in the Arctic 21/06/2016
- Coalition announces $55m package to deal with Defence contamination 13/06/2016
- Super bacteria found in Rio's Olympic venues, top tourist beaches 11/06/2016
- Asbestos illegally imported from China prompts questions, anger 09/06/2016
- Planning Minister defends Elizabeth Quay water park opening 06/06/2016